Friday, September 3, 2010

Interview with Linda - EVS volunteer in our organization



Linda from Austria
18 years old
EVS volunteer in Team 4 Uth



Why voluntary service?
Linda: I decided to do voluntary service because I always wanted to help people without taking money for what I do. After finishing high-school it was the perfect moment to do it - I was not sure what I wanted to study and instead of  “wasting my time” I applied for EVS.

Why Romania ? Are You happy because of Your choice?
Linda: I did not exactly choose Romania-it chose me. One day I received a mail from my Sending Organization with a description of team for Youth and their project. After lots of unanswered applications from everywhere in Europe it seemed like fate to go to Romania, an undeveloped country to “fight poverty”.

Why have You decided on long-term voluntary project (6 months)?
Linda: I wanted to experience a different culture and different life. In my opinion a short-term project is not enough to get to know the people and their way of living and thinking.

What is Your work about?
Linda: Celen – the other EVS volunteer, and me are going to orphanages to play with the children and teenagers. Also, we try to tech them English, sing with them or Celen shows them some tricks how to improve their drawing skills. Moreover, I give weekly English lesson and soon I will start to teach some people German. So its quite varied work.

What after Your stay in Romania? Are You going to continue this kind of job?
Linda: I do not know what is expecting me after EVS, but I think I want to try working in a different field so that I can get to know other types of jobs.

The best and the worst experience during project in Romania?
Linda: Many nice experiences, some not so good moments. There is no best and worse experience for me.

What would You like to change in Your project?
Linda: My project is a new project. Celen and me are their first EVS volunteers, so it is still natural that the project has to develop. However, I think this will happen automatically and the only thing I want to do at the moment is wait and see. Maybe I can tell You more in the end of my stay here in Romania.

How did You find out about this kind of project?
Linda: As I said before -  it found me ;)

Do You know the different between EVS and AMICUS?
Linda: Vaguely.

No comments:

Post a Comment